Turn on Manual Entry to track metrics without setting up a typical data integration. Perfect for new companies, small teams, and hard-to-automate metrics.
Important to Note
All data in Ambition must be attributable to a user. If your data exists at a team or organizational level, it must be broken down into user level metrics.
Data is entered on a daily basis, not for a given week or month.
Data is entered as a cumulative total for a given day.
Data can be entered historically and into the future.
For example, you create a Calls metric.
You cannot enter 100 calls for the month of July, instead you must enter 20 calls on July 1st, 60 calls on July 2nd, and 20 calls on July 3rd.
If you cannot break down your data by day, or if you wish to track data on a running total, a most recent value metric could be a good fit! Learn more here.
Set up a Manual Entry Integration
We advise working through the entire document if this is the first Manual Entry integration that your organization has setup within Ambition.
Enable the Integration
1. Login to your Ambition instance.
2. Open the left navigation and click Administration > Data > Integrations.
3. Click the + Enable Integration button.
If this is the first integration enabled in your instance, you will skip this step and begin at step 4.
4. Locate the Manual Entry integration and click "Enable Integration" in line with the Manual Entry integration name and icon.
You will be redirected into the newly enabled Manual Entry Integration.
Upon enabling you will be redirected within the integration. To enter the Manual Entry integration anytime after original enabling:
Once enabled, the Manual Entry integration will appear on the Integration Management page.
Click Edit in line with the appropriate Manual Entry integration.
5. Set a descriptive name for Integration Name. We recommend an explicit name, typically the system/data being transmitted.
6. Provide an Admin Email Address. This email will be contacted if and when integration issues arise.
7. Click the Save button.
You've now enabled the Manual Entry integration, but Ambition needs to be instructed on how to handle your data.
1. Within the Manual Entry Integration, click on Data Format.
2. The first time you access the Data Format tab, you'll see that two Field Keys are in place, Email and Date.
Ambition will need these two elements, email and date, in order to tie your Manual Metrics to a specific User and Date.
Due to the spreadsheet's setup, Email Address must be used as the Unique Employee Identifier.
No other Unique Employee Identifier is needed.
Altering or removing the
Date Field Keys will result in an inability to input data.
3. Click the Add Field Mapping button to add the data points you wish to manually track in Ambition.
To Create Field Mappings:
1. Click the Add Field Mapping button.
2. Fill in the Field Key, Display Name, and Field Type for each CSV column header or JSON key.
Field Key: The name of the data point you wish to track. Field Keys are limited to 43 characters.
Display Name: The name of the data point you wish to track. The display name will appear as a column header on the Spreadsheet.
Field Type: Select "Number".
For example, if you wanted to manually track data for "Calls" and "Leads":
4. Click the Save Data Format button. Complete the prompted "I UNDERSTAND" statement and click Confirm.
If accessing existing metrics, click Manage under the Metric Library tab.
If you desire to build new metrics, click Add under the Metric Library tab.
Name: Input the name of the metric. Visible to end users. 64 character limit.
Description: Optional. Input a description for this metric. Visible to end users.
Source-of-Truth: Optional. Provide a URL to the dashboard/report that you're using to validate this metric.
Computation Type: Should the metric be summed or averaged?
Since the integration uses a Daily Totals Data Format, you will have the additional option of Most Recent Value. Learn more here.
Field to Sum/Average:
If Sum or Average is selected, additionally select Field to Sum or Field to Average.
Note: Average computation type displays the averages over the days. (Sum of the Metric over a timeframe divided by # days in the timeframe)
Who Gets Credit?: Select Email.
When Do They Get Credit?: Select Date.
Display As: Is this metric a number, a financial amount, a percentage, or a duration?
Note: To use the duration formatting for a metric like "Talk Time", the field being summed needs to be calculated in seconds.
Metric Filters (typically only applicable for Records based Data Formats)
To add filters:
1. Click on the Add Filter button to optionally add logic.
2. Select a Field from the Field dropdown.
3. Select a logic statement from the Operator dropdown.
For more information about available Operators, click here.
4. Enter or select a value from the Value input/dropdown.
If you add multiple Filters, a Filter Logic bar will appear where you can add logic to your Filters as required.
For example, if you have Filter 1 and Filter 2 your Filter Logic bar can be:
1 AND 2 which means both Filter 1 and Filter 2 must be True
1 OR 2 which means either Filter 1 or Filter 2 must be True
To confirm that your metric configuration matches your expectations, you can use the verify tool. This is an optional tool that will validate the metric logic against the records within ambition. The verify tool can be found when creating or editing any manual entry metric.
1. When you are satisfied with your metric, select a User and Start and End Date to verify the metric accuracy.
Select "Exclude Filters in Query" if you'd like to view all records, including those that would fail the filter.
2. Click the Verify Configuration button.
3. Access the metric's accuracy and adjust filters as needed.
4. Click the Confirm and Save Changes button to save the metric.
What is Sandbox Mode and when should I use it?
Sandbox Mode is on by default when an Integration is first enabled in Ambition, and is notated by a "Sandbox Mode" badge in the upper left of the integrations tile.
Sandbox Mode allows for delivery of inputting data without impacting the instance as a whole. When an integration is in Sandbox Mode, the metrics created within the integration will not display outside of the integration.
Inputting test data into an integration in Sandbox Mode is not a requirement, but is an optional capability meant to support organizations that would like to test file structures and data delivery methods. Sandbox Mode can be disabled or reenabled at any time.
Sandbox Mode is especially helpful when adding additional integrations to Ambition after you've launched to your end users.
What does Purging Data entail?
When in Sandbox Mode, you will have the option to Purge the integration. Purging the integration entails all processed metric values and processed files will be deleted. Purging allows for any test and/or files with errors to be cleared out before Production Data is sent to Ambition.
Unless an integration is explicitly Purged, any data from test files will contribute to metric values once Sandbox Mode is disabled.
Learn more about Purging data here.
How do I disable/enable Sandbox mode?
1. Open the left navigation and click Administration > Data > Integrations.
2. Click Edit in line with the appropriate Manual Entry integration.
Integrations currently in Sandbox Mode will feature a "Sandbox Mode" badge in line with the integration on the Integration Management page.
3. On the Settings page, locate the Sandbox Mode toggle
While in Sandbox mode, you will have the option to Purge All Data.
To Purge Data:
- Click the Purge All Data button.
- Click Confirm when prompted
To Disable Sandbox Mode:
- Toggle the Sandbox Mode option to Disabled.
- Click Save.
To Enable Sandbox Mode:
- Toggle the Sandbox Mode option to Enabled.
- Click Save.