For Ambition, data accuracy is foundational.
We believe that without accurate data we lose the trust of our customers and let you down. We take this trust very seriously.
This guide is intended to help identify why Ambition values differ from your source of truth by stepping through the different steps of Ambition data processing and nuances therein.
If, through this guide, you confirm that Ambition data is wrong, please let us know so we can assist and rectify the issue immediately.
Disclaimer: You must have Admin Permission in Ambition to access Data Integrations and their contents.
Things to know about Ambition before diving in:
In Ambition, any data will be attributed to a single User, on a single date. Ambition supports the ability to aggregate this data by User into roll-up Groups (Teams, Roles, etc), as well as time-based aggregations of a week, month, etc... However, the data transmitted to Ambition must be attributable to a single User, on a single date.
- Ambition will not generate Metrics for Users if the Date Field is prior to a User's activation date --> before their account is created in Ambition.*
- Ambition will be able to attribute data to a User regardless of whether that User has ever logged in.
- By default Ambition will only not generate Metrics when Date Fields contain values greater than Today+1 (future data).
- When a User changes Groups, their historical data is not moved from Group to Group. They stop contributing to their old Group and begin contributing to their new Group on the date they are moved.
Example: Jane Smith is added to Ambition on June 1st. She does not log in to Ambition until July 1st. Even though Ambition has received data for Jane dating back to March 1st, Ambition only processes data from Jane's activation date (June 1st), forward. When Jane logs in on July 1st, she sees all data processed since her Ambition activation, a month prior.
* Ambition can bulk-edit all user's activation dates, once. Upon all your Users and Groups being configured, please contact your Customer Success Manager for this request. In lieu of a dedicated CSM, please contact Support at email@example.com.
Intro to the Ambition Data Processing:
Ambition receives your data via Integration(s).
1. Integration mappings denote which fields contain User IDs, Dates, and Values.
2. User IDs are scanned for matches to existing Ambition Users.
3. If a User match is found, Ambition evaluates relevant Metrics Definitions for that data.
4. Ambition attributes any Metric Values generated to the matching User and Metric.
5. Ambition updates any Group aggregations (Role, Team, Location, etc..) the User is part of.
6. Ambition updates any date aggregations (Week, Month, Quarter, etc...) for Users and Groups.
How to Verify Data:
1. For every Metric created in Ambition, build a User level report in your system of record (Salesforce Report, CSV, Report pulled from respective reporting tool)
- Ensure that filters in your report are identical to the metric definition. One filter can make all the difference!
- Ensure the time frame on report matches the time frame you are viewing in Ambition.
- Ensure the Users in your report only contain Ambition Users with activation dates prior to the entire time frame you are validating.
2. Use Ambition's Spreadsheet to build a matching report for the Metric in question
- Left hand navigation > Reporting tab > Analytics
- Ensure the Spreadsheet Start and End dates match the time frame of your reporting
Selecting the Custom option for Time Frame will allow you to match exact date ranges
- Ensure Hierarchy Level is set to User
If Ambition's data does not match your report, select relevant guide:
How to Verify Aggregations
Once your User-level data matches your User level reporting you can build on that foundation by running reports for Groups of Users, such as by Role, Team or Location. You can also Group data by time based aggregates such as a week, month, quarter and year.
The Spreadsheet report is the best Ambition tool for checking either Group or time range aggregates.
1. Create a spreadsheet view that encompasses the time range or Group that you care to verify.
2. If you notice a discrepancy between the User level reporting and aggregate reporting, it's likely due to the following behaviors:
- Users only generate Metrics in Ambition past their User activation date, when they were added to Ambition.
- Users only contribute Metrics to Groups they participate in, for the duration of their membership.
- When Users change from Group to Group, their past Metric performance is retained with the Group they were in, not moved to the new Group.