Setting up a FTP Integration
This is a comprehensive guide to setting up a FTP Integration within Ambition. We advise working through the entire document if this is the first FTP Integration that your Organization has setup within Ambition. Below are quick links to specific aspects of setting up a FTP Integration.
Enable the Integration
1. Login to your Ambition instance.
2. Open the left navigation and click Administration > Data > Integrations.
3. Under Available Integrations, click the blue Enable Integration button in line with the FTP integration. You will be redirected within the new FTP Integration.
Upon enabling you will be redirected within the Integration. To enter the FTP Integration anytime after original enabling:
Once enabled, the FTP Integration will appear under Active Integrations at the top of the page.
4. Click the Settings button to enter the FTP Integration.
5. Set a descriptive name for Integration Name. We recommend an explicit name, typically the system/data being transmitted.
6. Provide an Admin Email Address. This email will be contacted if and when Integration issues arise.
7. Click the green Save button.
Setting the File Format
You've now enabled the FTP Integration, but Ambition needs to be instructed on how to handle your data.
Here you will indicate what type of file format will be sent to Ambition. CSV or JSON.
1. Within the FTP Integration, click the Data Format tab.
2. Click the dropdown to access File Format options. Set the File Format, either CSV or JSON.
3. Click the green Save File Format button.
Setting the Data Format
You've chosen what type of file will be sent, now you will determine how your data is formatted.
Will your Organization be sending Daily Totals or Records?
Data Format Type
1. If you navigated away from the page after setting the File Format above, return to the FTP Integration, click the Data Format tab.
2. Use the Data Format Type dropdown to select either Daily Totals or Records.
Select Daily Totals if you will be transmitting daily metric totals for each employee. This typically means that you (or your system) already processes the data and you will be sending Ambition the results.
Daily Total Example - CSV
email,date,calls,emails,appointments email@example.com,2017-8-16,11,12,3 firstname.lastname@example.org,2017-8-16,6,9,10
Select Records if you will be transmitting raw records for each employee. This typically means that you will be offloading the processing to Ambition, specifically the logic to derive metrics from records
Records Example - CSV
email,created_date,record_id,type,status,appointment_date,booking_date,revenue email@example.com,2017-8-14 8:23:11,abc123,appointment,completed,2017-8-16 11:30:00,, firstname.lastname@example.org,2017-8-16 7:59:23,abc456,call,completed,,,
This is where you will define and map the data transmitted.
If your File Format is CSV, then you will be mapping your spreadsheet's named columns.
If your File Format is JSON, then you will be mapping your key names.
If you select Daily Totals, an email and date Field Key will prepopulate in your Data Format.
If you select Records, an id, email, and date Field Key will prepopulate in your Data Format.
Ensure that these Field Keys are updated to match the formatting of your actual headers or keys.
Field Key: How the field is identified within your file, either a key or column name.
Display Name: How the field will be displayed within Ambition.
Field Type: The type of information contained within the field.
Field Type Options
Your Data Format Type (Daily Totals or Records) will determine which Field Types are available.
|Field Types||Field Type Descriptions|
|Unique Record Identifier||
Specific to the Records format type, you must transmit and map a field specifying record-level uniqueness.
Ex: record_id, order_number
|Unique Employee Identifier||
Field specifying the employee who should be credited for the data. This is commonly an employee_id. Unique Employee Identifier or Email Address is required.
(Upon saving the Data Format, the correlating Field Type will be renamed from Unique Employee Identifier to an integration specific name for easier identification across platform)
Ex: employee_id, employee_extension
Email address of the employee who should be credited for the data. Email Address or Unique Employee Identifier is required.
Specific to the Records format type, you must transmit and map a field specifying the record's timestamp in your local timezone.
Standard YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss Format
Note: If you would like to send UTC, please contact email@example.com to aid in the integration setup.
Specific to the Daily Totals format type, you must transmit and map a field specifying the record's date. We will automatically floor timestamps.
Standard YYYY-MM-DD Format
Field containing a value that you wish to be summed across Ambition. A metric will automatically be created.
Ex: revenue, talk_time
Field containing a value that you wish to be averaged across Ambition. A metric will automatically be created.
Ex: revenue, talk_time
Specific to the Records format type, a field containing a number to be used in creating and processing metrics.
Ex: amount, duration
Specific to the Records format type, a field containing a string to be used in creating and processing metrics.
Ex: type, stage, status
To Create Field Mappings:
1. Click the blue Add button.
2. Fill in the Field Key, Display Name, and Field Type for each CSV column header or JSON key.
Update the email and date placeholder Field Keys as needed to fit your Data Format.
3. Once the Data Format is complete, click the green Save Data Format button.
4. Type I UNDERSTAND and click the CONFIRM button to confirm your understanding about the Data Format Type, Fields, and Metrics put in place.
If you previously created any Metric (Sum) or Metric (Average) field mappings these will automatically show up in your Metric Library. These can be customized as necessary with additional logic.
If accessing existing Metrics, click Manage under the Metric Library tab.
If you desire to build new Metrics, click Add under the Metric Library tab.
Object: Select FTP Depot Record
User Field: Select an available Email or Employee Unique Identifier field
Date Field: Select an available Date or Date/Time field
Metric Type and Field to Sum:
If Metric (Sum) or Metric (Average) was selected, these fields will be prepopulated.
For Records format, you will have the additional option of Count.
Metric Filters (only applicable for Records based Data Formats)
To add filters:
1. Click on the blue Add Filter button to optionally add logic.
2. Select a Field from the first dropdown.
3. Select a logic statement from the second dropdown.
4. Enter or select a value from the third dropdown.
If you add multiple filters notice that a Logic bar appears where you can add logic to your filters if required.
For example, if you have Filter 1 and Filter 2 your Logic bar can be:
1 AND 2 which means both Filter 1 and Filter 2 must be True
1 OR 2 which means either Filter 1 or Filter 2 must be True
Click on the green Confirm and Save Changes button to update the Metric.