Interact with Coaching Sessions and Check Ins
New Coaching Sessions (and subsequently, each employee's Check-In) will be generated based on a Program's cadence.
The Manager, Contributor, and Ambition Admin can see the shared Coaching Sessions. While Admin will not directly interact, they can access the Coaching Check-ins as an "Observer" if they desire.
Check-ins can also exist on a one-off basis and be unrelated to Coaching Programs.
How do Managers Interact with Coaching?
Managers will be notified both in-product and via email when an employee's Check-In is ready for review and approval.
Navigate to Check-Ins within Ambition
As a manager, there are 3 ways to view your employee's check-ins!
- From your Managerial Dashboard, left navigation > Dashboard > Managerial Dashboard > Coaching tab (this is a rolled-up view for all employees)
- From your direct report's Dashboard > Coaching tab (this is an employee specific view)
- Left navigation > Coaching > Check-ins (here you can view all and filter)
They will then navigate to the Check-In where they will have the options to:
- review the answers
- notify the employee that additional context is needed
- provide a rating that is visible to both employee and manager
- excuse the check in if necessary
- optionally leave comments (notification email is sent)
- approve and mark the check in as complete
Requesting feedback typically corresponds with leaving comments where a manager will ask for additional clarification or details. The employee will be notified that the Check-In has been reviewed but has not been approved.
Upon clicking Complete the employee will be notified that the Check-In has been reviewed and has been approved.
When a coaching session is closed out, each check-in has an optional rating (these ratings are scored on a 1-5 point scale). Ratings provide an outlet for managers to give feedback directly to their employees.
The default rating categories for check-ins are Preparedness, Engagement, and Coachability.
These rating categories are fully customizable. Click here to learn more.
Note: a rating must be left in every category before the rating is able to be saved.
A Check In can be marked Excused as necessary; for example, when an employee is on vacation.
Search for Coaching Check Ins
1. Open the left navigation and click Coaching > Check Ins.
2. To begin your search, click the Filters button.
Check-Ins can be filtered through the following methods:
Due Date: Newest - sorts the check-ins newest to oldest
Due Date: Oldest - sorts the check-ins oldest to newest
Search for managers or admins who own the check in.
Search for the employee who is responsible for completing the agenda items.
All: Show all records.
Open: Action is required either from the manager or employee before it's complete.
Due: Waiting for the employees response.
Pending: Waiting for review from the manager.
Complete: Completed by both parties before the due date.
Expired: Expired before being completed by both parties.
Excused: Excused by the manager, for events like vacations.
Scheduled: This filter will only show upcoming one-off check-ins. Recurring program check-ins are made available just-in-time, and will be shown in the open filter.
Search for check-ins by their average rating. If there are multiple rating categories, this filter will show the average rating for each check-in. For example:
Preparedness = 5
Search for check ins by program name.
Search through your private & shared notes that were attached to previous check ins.
'View As' filter
As a manager, you may also have your own check ins that you are held accountable for.
You will have access to coaching check-ins that are applicable to your account as a User AND as a Manager.
- Managers will see all check ins that they host and, if applicable, any check ins that they are personally required to do with their corresponding supervisor.
- Employees will be shown a list of their personal check ins, listed by date and status.
With the View As filter, you can toggle between the following views:
All check ins that you have visibility into, permission based. These may be check ins for direct reports and for yourself.
All check in that you are required to complete, for your manager (if applicable).
All check ins that your direct reports are required to complete.