Microsoft Teams Integration
- Microsoft Teams Account - Authorization will require Account Administrator permissions within Microsoft Teams
- Ambition - Authorization will require Admin Permissions to access integrations.
Microsoft Teams Overview
Ambition's integration with Microsoft Teams creates an ecosystem of encouragement & delivers actionable insights within Microsoft Teams. Managing remote sales teams is hard, but maximizing employee performance with recognition and performance alerts is easy and effective with Ambition for Microsoft Teams.
Through Ambition's Microsoft Teams Integration you can send Workflow notifications directly to your public and private Teams to drive employee engagement and recognition. Enabling the Microsoft Teams integration will also allow users to share Leaderboards on the fly.
Enable and Authorize Microsoft Teams Integration
1. Open the left navigation and click Administration > Data > Integrations.
2. Under Available Integrations, click the Enable Integration button in line with the Microsoft Teams integration.
Upon enabling, you will be taken into the Microsoft Teams Integration.
3. Click on Authorization.
4. Click Sign-in with Microsoft
If you utilize Ambition within Salesforce, log into your Organization's stand alone instance of Ambition, yourcomanyname.ambition.com, as attempts to be redirected to sign in to Microsoft within the Salesforce UI will be blocked.
If you are unsure of your Organization's Ambition domain, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As noted above, the Authorization step must be completed by a user with administrator capabilities for the associated Microsoft Teams account.
5. You will be redirected to Microsoft Teams where your company's Microsoft Teams account administrator will need to sign in.
6. Once signed in, your company's Microsoft Teams account administrator will be presented with the permissions requested by the Ambition application.
- Click the checkbox to "Consent on behalf of your organization."
- Click Accept to authorize the permissions requested.
7. The authorization is now complete. You will be redirected to the Microsoft Teams integration management page in Ambition.
Here you can click + Get Ambition For Microsoft Teams which will redirect you to Ambition's listing on the Microsoft Teams App Store.
Before being able to send Ambition notifications to Microsoft Teams, Ambition will need to be added to the preferred Microsoft Team Channels.
Add the Ambition App to Microsoft Teams and Channels
Now that the Microsoft Teams Integration has been authorized, the Ambition app will need to be added to the appropriate Teams & Channels for use.
You can use Ambition in a public or private Team.
You can only use Ambition in public Channels. Platform limitation by Microsoft: Private channels in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams
To use in the public Channels of a public Team, install Ambition to any user or any team in the workspace.
To use in the public Channels of a private Team, install Ambition to that team’s General channel.
How to add the app to a Team:
1. From a Team, click settings > Manage team.
2. From the Apps tab, click More Apps.
3. From the Apps page, search and select Ambition.
4. This will open the Ambition app description.
5. From the Open menu, select Add to a team.
6. Click Set up a bot for the selected Team and Channel.
7. Ambition Leaderboards can now be invoked and Workflows sent to the respective Channel.
Share a Leaderboard in Microsoft Teams
From a channel, there are two ways to share an Ambition Leaderboard:
Option 1 - Click on the Ambition logo within the message tool bar. Select Share a Leaderboard
Option 2 - Type @Ambition with the message bar to access the application options.
Once you type in and select Ambition, click Share a Leaderboard.
The Leaderboard Modal provides the following filters:
- Select a Metric: Choose 1 metric to rank the users by. The Metric dropdown shows all active metrics within the Ambition account. The default metric is Activity Score or Objective Score, depending on the Ambition account's settings. If both scorecard metrics are disabled, the first alphabetical metric is chosen as the default.
- Select a Group Type: This changes the entity type for the leaderboard. The default is to rank users, but this also allows for group rankings (teams vs teams, roles vs roles, etc.) The Group Type dropdown shows all active group types within the Ambition account.
- Standard Date Range: This changes the time frame for the metric value. It defaults to Today, but can be changed to other standard date ranges like This Week, Last Week, This Month, etc..
- Custom Date Range: If a standard date range is not preferred, the Custom Date Range filter provides a calendar picker for the start date and end date.
- Select Groups to Filter Within: This filter allows for additional filtering within groups. For example, rank all users within the role "Account Executives".
Note: To change these filters, click the X or V on the right for more options.
Information We Access/Store
|App Scopes||What We Access||
What We Store
|Maintain access to data you have given it access to||Maintain access = offline access. You grant access us to us to sync your data every 24 hours. We don’t have to reprompt for permission every time.||
Allows the app to see the data you gave it access to, even when you are not currently using the app.
This does not give the app any additional permissions.
|Sign you in and read your profile||
We will receive the authorizing admin's name and email.
Organization Name and Microsoft ID
Ambition will receive the authorizing admin's name and email.
We only store the organization name and Microsoft ID.
|Read all Groups||
Teams Name and IDs
We can see the names of teams, public or private.
All Team Names and IDs (public and private).
|Read the names and descriptions of channels||Channels name, ID, and descriptions||
All Channel Names and IDs (public only).
We do not read the contents of any messages.
We can't read the names of private channels.
|Read all users' basic profiles||User name, emails, and timezones||
All Users: Name, Email (to connect with their Ambition Email), and Microsoft Teams ID.
This included people who don't have an Ambition account.
Only messages that the Ambition integration posts
We do NOT collect/store messages posted by Users
We do NOT access existing channel messages
Why This Data Is Stored
Team and Channel Names are necessary to populate the Workflow's notification dropdown menu.
User Emails are necessary to connect Microsoft Teams Users with Ambition Users so that we can @tag them within Ambition's Microsoft Teams posts.
Additional Teams Security FAQ
What does MS teams get access to through this integration? (ie activity/opportunity data that we are loading into Ambition, personal data from Ambition)
They are getting the contents of messages shown in the channels. So they are not privy to Ambition private info, and they can only see metric data that's shared in Workflows and slash commands.
They will be receiving formatted message (JSON), with metric info about only a specific metric for metric/metric record workflows. The Scheduled Leaderboard Workflows will show metric values for everyone on the Leaderboard.
Finally, the Leaderboard slash command has to query Ambition for the available metrics, and groups. So they will get the names of metrics, groups, and group types/categories. But only just names, this doesn’t send over all the metric values. This doesn’t expose which people are in which group.
Who has access to create these posts? Are are there restrictions on the Ambition side to allow only managers to create a post in MS Teams?
On the Ambition side, we need an Org Admin to authorize the integration.
Managing Workflows is restricted by an Ambition permission as well. By default Org admins & managers can create workflows, but this can be customized by the customer.
On the MS Teams side, anyone with access to your Teams org, (even if they do not have an Ambition account), can use the Leaderboard command to pull in an Ambition leaderboard.
The idea here is that leaderboards are not considered sensitive amongst your org.
Does a post to MS Teams from Ambition generate a unique notification or does it just use the MS Teams notification system?
The Ambition Workflow messages into Teams relies on the automatic notifications that new posts create.
Do users have to sign up for Ambition within Teams or it is automatically added for all users when the integration is turned on?
Teams users do not have to sign up for Ambition Workflow alerts, but after install the Ambition app will need to be added to the appropriate Teams and Channel for use.